Interiour mural from Villa d'Este palace in Italy. Around 1550 the old monastery was turned into a beautiful palace for cardinal Ippolito II, a son of Lucrezia Borgia. The palace is surrounded by magnificent and very elaborate garden with grottoes, classic statues and many fountains. After the cardinal died the villa was left neglected. It was restored in the 1920s then opened to the public.